In 1918, a fire – the cause of which may have been an arson attack – destroyed almost the entire building, putting a stop to its industrious production. Until then, the workshop had been producing 50,000 kg of flour and 8000 kg of pasta every day. It was soon rebuilt thanks to the tenacity of our very own Domenico Paone.
On 24th June 1928, the Minister for Culture, Pietro Fedele, from Minturno, and the Bishop of Gaeta, Monsignor Dionigi Casaroli, attended a ceremonial event celebrating the unveiling of a very special monument. Still attracting admirers today on the Largo Paone promenade, this monument is dedicated to Domenico Paone, who, at his own expense, funded the planning and development of the beach area and coastal road, which had been damaged following an unusually heavy storm.
This promenade area became known as the “Largo Paone” and this marvellous rounded exedra can be seen in pre-war postcards.
In 1930, Domenico Paone was honoured with the title “Captain of Industry” under the Royal Decree of 15th December 1930.